Sunday, September 30, 2007

Castles, unicycles, and Guinness World Records

The last few days have given me a chance to do a bit more exploring of Aber, seeing as classes and activities are slow to begin and I’m still fairly new to the place. On Friday afternoon after class, I walked down to the ruins of the ancient Aberystwyth castle, one of the castles that King Edward I built along the Welsh coastline in the 1200s to try to keep the fighting Welsh down and subject to English rule. The castle is situated on a hill overlooking the mouth of the rivers Rheidol and Ystwyth, in a picturesque (and strategic) location, and just below it there is a monument to the members of the community who perished in the first and second world wars. It’s a beautiful memorial to those who gave their lives for their country; chiseled into one side of it are the words “Greater love hath no man than this …”, which I recognized as the beginning of a scripture verse.

Yesterday afternoon, I went up to the university to witness history taking place. A third-year computer science student was going around the track on a unicycle, cheered on by fans, trying to beat the world record of the longest distance traveled on a unicycle in twenty-four hours. He was cycling with another person when I got there, trying to keep a steady pace, and had been on the track since ten in the morning. I stayed for about half an hour, long enough to see him pass the 100-mile mark. And from what I can gather, by the time ten o’clock rolled around this morning, he had broken the record, traveling the equivalent of over 280 miles in the process.

6 comments:

Logos Bum said...

Hey man. Good times. Did the castle have an odd line of stone that was a different color? One of the few things I remember from my sottish history course (it was 200 people and the professor made revolutions sound boring) was that Scotland was able to not be taken over because the English King spent all his money on subjecting Wales. To do that, he built the castles, and made them look like Middle-eastern walls, that have a line of varied color stone. anyways, I'm glad you're getting to see the city. Isn't it odd to see how different classes are, along with the work load? Have fun man, its nice to read what you're up to. It makes me sentimental about last fall.
Peace
P.S. Greater love hath no man then to lay down his life for his friends. It's in John 10 I think.

Unknown said...

And to think the whole time I was reading your blog I was hoping the guy would be riding the unicycle around the track and drinking Guinness.
Now that would be sick!

Anonymous said...

I hope you managed to get some pictures of the guy on the unicycle? Would be great to see them on here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey! I was that guy on the unicycle. The internet makes this a strangely small world. Thanks for stopping by - there were lots of people who came along whom I didn't know or expect. Your blog about life in Aberystwyth is a good read. Sounds like you had a good time in Wales.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Casey said...

Hi Sam! Logging in just now after such a long time away from this blog, and finally seeing your comment on my post, truly made my evening. I enjoyed going out to the field that day to watch you break the world record, and have vivid memories of it still (just as I have a funny memory of you glaring at me as I stood next to your girlfriend for a few minutes). In the chance that you remember me, I was the pale white, tall guy in a blue pullover Columbia Sportswear rain jacket.